- ". . . I began to turn to the open stacks of the @NewarkLibrary to enlarge my sense of where I lived." Philip Roth @NewYorker June 5 & 12 5 days ago
- RT @gabbypatty8: My dad took night classes to learn English and wrote this as an assignment. 17 years later, I got my Masters. I did it, pa… 6 days ago
- RT @ProBookNerds: New podcast w/ @kylecassidy, author of This is What a #Librarian Looks Like. A perfect start to #alaac17 week! https://t… 1 week ago
The official blog of the Maryland Chapter of ACRL
ACRL MD Meeting Minutes, 8/29/2012
August 29, 2012Posted by on
ACRL Meeting Minutes
August 29, 2012 1-3pm at UMBC
Attendees: Jo Gadsby, David Dahl, Alison Cody, Shana Gass, Sara Arnold Garza, Lindsey Loeper, Simmona Simmons, Melissa Laytham, Gergana Korsova, Patty MacDonald, Katy Sullivan
- Theme: Research methods for assessment
- Program format: Workshop (on using statistical methods, collecting data, surveys/interviews), possible small groups working with fake/real datasets, four presentations or a panel of “Stories from the field” (what people are doing in their libraries, preferably from different library departments).
- Speaker ideas: Contact at iSchool for research methodologies
- Locations: Need to have a computer lab, especially for data analysis. Loyola/Columbia, Anne Arundel Community College, Capital College, UMBC tech center, Towson, McDaniel College
- Need to know: Will they charge? Catering? Computer Lab? #of people
- Action item: Shana will call all locations; Danielle will need to call Loyola/Columbia.
- Dates: Late October or Early November: Fridays 10/26, 11/2, 11/9
- Complement other October programs (10/5 (Value/Impact of Libraries) and 10/16 (USMAI Assessment) and 10/26 (library assessment conference))
- Brainstorming titles: “Stats amazing!”
- Last call for proposals for MaryLib – everyone encourage personal contacts for proposals
- Pre-Conference: “User Experience/Usability Testing” Don’t make me think – giveaways
- Action item: Patty will talk to Lucy about usability methods pre-conference
- User Experience Librarian? Talking about low-tech costs, observations
- Silent auction will have an online portion
- Pre-conferences must finish by 4pm Wed., Keynote speaker, 4-6pm, Room for dine around? 7-9pm at Liquid Assets
- Brainstorming proposal ideas, and people to ask to present
Journal Club/ Online discussions
- Centered around discussion of the ACRL publication “College and Research Libraries” – free Wimba online discussions: 11:30am-12:30pm, 3rd Friday of every other month.
- Dates: 9/21 (??), 11/16 (Natalie), 1/18 (Jo), 3/15 (Katy), 5/17 (Jo).
- David needs to know by next week Wednesday who wants to facilitate on 9/21.
- Poll beforehand to see what to do beforehand (cover all of the articles).
In-person happy hour
- September 14, ACRL invasion of Library Happy Hour @6pm @Howards in Mt Vernon
- Action item: Natalie will talk to Catherine , post info on social media and blogs
Observer instructor network
- Something together to try out for the fall
- Set up something on the blog for now?
- Action item: Alison will be point person pending Pete’s involvement (advertise at Happy Hour?)
- Action item: Set up a matching database
Social Media Presence
- Role of the secretary will include social media: Keeping track of SM accounts and assigning permissions to new contributors, distributing/disseminating information and content (like about our programs, call for proposals, general updates from ACRL MD).
- Alison Cody volunteered to assist with social media, especially with creating/finding new or outside content.
- Action item: Natalie and Alison will review MLA social media policy and review social media procedures to document them for future secretary/social media volunteers.
- Nominations for offices are due in November (you have to have attended at least one meeting and demonstrated interest in ACRL MD, contact Simmona Simmons.