ACRL, Maryland Chapter

The official blog of the Maryland Chapter of ACRL

MD TECH CONNECT 2016 Conference: CFP

Though ACRL MD is not a sponsor of this awesome event, we are eager to bring it your attention.

Here is the CFP and contact info:

MD TECH CONNECT 2016

“Ideas into Action” 

MDLIBTECH, a committee under the Maryland State Library, is seeking proposals for Affinity Group Facilitators and Exposition Participants for December 2, 2016 Maryland Tech Connect 2016 event which will be hosted by the Priddy Library at the Universities at Shady Grove in Rockville, MD.  The event will be open to technologists, technology enthusiasts, and technology policy makers from public, academic, school, and special libraries.  We are seeking exhibitors and presenters from inside and outside of the library profession. We welcome presenters from Maryland, DC and Virginia.

Call for Exhibitors/Expo-presenter

Library staff and technology vendors are invited to exhibit/showcase new and forthcoming disruptive technologies.

Ex/ Virtual reality, instructional technology, technology related to collaboration and creativity, consumer technologies that could impact library services

Please provide:

The name of your organization and a brief description of the technology you will be showcasing, contact information, and whether you will need a table and/or an electrical outlet.

Application Deadline is September 30, 2016.  FILL OUT FORM

Selected exhibitors will be notified by October 17, 2016 of inclusion in the event.

For inquires, contact Jennifer Falkowski, 301-884-0436, jfalkowski@somd.lib.md.us.

Call for Affinity Group Facilitators

An affinity group is a group of individuals organized around a common topic of interest.  We invite facilitators with a topic they would like to share to submit their proposed topic for inclusion in the MDLIBTECH event.  Facilitators will be asked to present a lightning talk at the beginning of the day to spark interest in their topic.  They will then be given 30 minutes for the group discussion to be divided into a 15 minute presentation on a technology project followed by 15 minutes of discussion.  The technology project may or may not be included in the expo.

The planning committee invites proposals that relate to an emerging consumer or library technology, library technology best practices, or disruptive technologies.  Ex/ Virtual reality, instructional technology, technology related to collaboration and creativity, consumer technologies that could impact library services.  Special consideration will be given to facilitators who can exhibit the technology in the expo.

Application deadline is September 30, 2016.  FILL OUT FORM

Selected facilitators will be notified by October 17, 2016.

For inquires, contact Jennifer Falkowski, 301-884-0436, jfalkowski@somd.lib.md.us.

 

Business Meeting Minutes: Sept. 16, 2016

ACRL MD Meeting – Agenda & Minutes

September 16, 2016

Attending: Natalie Burclaff, Claire Holmes, Sara Arnold-Garza, Robert Miller (notes), Alison Cody, Elizabeth Schlackman, Kim Miller

Fall program updates:

Considering #CritLib: Inclusion and Diversity in Libraries

  • Emily Drabinski, keynote and facilitator
  • Friday, Nov 11, 9:30am-3pm, Loyola-Columbia
  • Collaboration with MILEX: MLA/MILEX registration rate is $60. Non-member rate is $90
  • Invitations/Info are out via blog, FB, MILEX email, Marylib
  • MLA handling registrations
  • MILEX handling call for Lightning Talks
    • MILEX has received proposals for lightning talks
  • Over lunch, attendees will vote on topic of “unconference” discussion at the end of day, facilitated by Emily Drabinski. 
    • We’ll also have report-outs from group discussions.
  • Maybe Natalie and others will help with further advertising
    • Natalie will make an image to be used for further advertising
  • We can cross-promote our program with ACRL-2017 critlib unconference
  • Joint Planning Meeting: 9/19, noon (conference call)
  • To join using the internet (you need a microphone and speakers or a headset):
    • Go to freeconferencecall.com;
    • Click on Online Meetings;
    • Select Join Meeting;
    • Enter Online Meeting ID: sbg
    • To join using the your phone:
      • Call 641-715-3580;
      • Enter Access Code: 737-107

Journal club: Oct 21

  • Dates for the year are noted on blog, all have discussion leaders assigned.
  • Claire is sole member of executive committee who is able to attend the Oct. 21 journal club.
    • Robert will copy her when he emails Elizabeth Schlackman, who will facilitate the October discussion.

Winter Social – January/February

  • Duckpin Bowling: Stoneleigh Lanes
  • Date/Time tba
  • We’ll choose a Friday

MLA/DLA conference – Sara AG, site visit in Cambridge Sept 22, 11am

  • We didn’t get a strong response to CFP. (Because of ACRL 2017 in Baltimore, we thought we would have fewer proposals.)
    • But we will have 2-3 presentations, which is not bad.
  • We might be able to invite someone to speak? Maybe someone local from IT, or another field outside of librarianship.
    • Maybe we could invite someone who proposed lightning talk for MILEX/ACRL critlib conference?
    • Maybe we could invite the improv artist who ran a workshop at our summer program.
    • Maybe email academic librarians near Cambridge, MD. Claire can reach out to CALD.

Nominations for next year’s officers due by October 1, 2016     

  • Self-nominations, suggestions welcome

ACRL in Baltimore, March 22-25, 2017

  • Restaurant/Bar reception
    • CALD pledged monetary support and likes the idea of a restaurant reception/meet-up
  • Arrange a tour… Peabody?
  • Topical Interest dinners? Fund raising… (Brewer’s Art?)
  • We want suggestions for an event
  • We should put together a task group
    • Natalie volunteered
    • Others who want to volunteer can email Claire
  • New UB law school building, we could reserve space there for a party, if CALD pays for catering
    • Hopefully that’s not too far north–it’s convenient to public transit
  • Alison says that restaurants/bars require a minimum amount for food. So we have to be careful of that
  • Sara says that catering/alcohol could be cheaper in UB building, rather than in a restaurant/bar
  • We can go back to CALD to discuss money when we have more solid plans in place
  • Brewer’s Art is owned by former librarian. Natalie can reach out to him

New business?

  • None

Next meeting: October 21, 2016

Considering #CritLib: Inclusion and Diversity in Libraries

The academic library division of MLA, ACRL-MD, is partnering with the Maryland Information Literacy Exchange (MILEX) to bring keynote speaker, Emily Drabinski to our region. One of the leading voices in the Critical Librarianship movement, Drabinski is the Coordinator of Library Instruction at Long Island University, Brooklyn, and an adjunct faculty member at Pratt Institute. She is a prolific author, editor, and speaker on social justice and librarianship and she is an active voice in the #critlib social media community.

Friday, November 11, 2016
9:30am-3:15pm
Loyola University – Columbia campus

Drabinski will share the history of the #critlib movement and perspectives on the intersections between librarianship and social justice, delving into topics ranging from diversity and inclusion to information literacy instruction and metadata.

Next, the workshop will feature a selection of Lightning Talks by regional librarians involved in the #critlib community. Lightning Talk speakers will lead workshop attendees into smaller affinity group conversations designed to focus on the areas within the wide span of librarianship, including public and school libraries.

Join us as we examine our practice, individually and collectively, through a critical lens. For more information about our keynote speaker, take a look at www.emilydrabinski.com and follow her on Twitter @edrabinski.

Selected speakers will give short (5-7 minute) presentations on one of the following topics, or another related topic:

  • #critlib in info lit instruction
  • #critlib in tech services/cataloging
  • #critlib in university community context
  • #critlib in special collections
  • #critlib in public library settings

If you are interested in giving a Lightning Talk, please send a title and a brief summary of your talk to Sarah Gilchrist (sgilchrist@towson.edu) by October 24, 2016.

Register for the workshop here.

Contact for general information: Claire Holmes

critlibacrlmd

Vote now! Journal Club Discussion – October 2016

checkmarkIt’s time to vote for Journal Club articles!

Please take a moment to select the two articles you would like included in the next ACRL-MD journal club discussion, which will be based on articles in the September 2016 issue of College & Research Libraries. The discussion will take place Friday, October 21, from 11:30am-12:30pm, immediately following the 11am business meeting.

If you need to jump in a little late or leave early (or eat lunch), please do! All articles are freely available via the College & Research Libraries website. ACRL MD’s Online Discussion Series is free and open to all through the MLA Blackboard Collaborate Room.

Please vote for two articles you would like to discuss. The last day to vote is Sunday, October 2.

Online Journal Club Facilitators Needed

Please join our online journal-club as a discussion facilitator!
Facilitators prepare brief summaries and a few discussion questions for two articles chosen by journal-club participants. The articles will be from College & Research Libraries.

Being a facilitator is a great way to delve into current academic-library literature and support your colleagues in ACRL-MD.

We seek facilitators for the following dates (the online journal-club convenes at about 11:30 AM, after the ACRL-MD business meeting):

2016: Oct. 21, Dec. 16
2017: Feb. 17, Apr. 21, June 16

Want to volunteer? Have any questions? Please respond to robert.miller@umuc.edu

Business Meeting Minutes: Aug. 19, 2016

ACRL MD Meeting – Agenda & Minutes

August 19, 2016

Notes by Alison Cody

Update on summer session

  • went well! evaluations were very positive – people particularly liked the improv artist. Panelists enjoyed themselves as well.
  • improv person was great! should bring her back for another session
  • low attendance though – summer slowdown? librarians are introverts – maybe not into the idea of improv? not as much advertising as usual

Fall program

  • Considering #CritLib: Inclusion and Diversity in Libraries (Collaboration with MILEX)
    • Emily Drabinski will speak
    • Friday Nov 11, 8am-3pm (ish) at Loyola Columbia
  • Still working on approvals from MLA office
    • PAF submitted earlier in the week
    • Also a memo of understanding with MILEX – in process with MLA office
  • Hoping to put out a save the date to marylib soon, as well as call for lightning talks. MILEX can share the info with their members now

Journal club

  • Next one will be October, scaling back number of articles discussed
  • Sara AG will talk to Robert and help him get started with this

Winter social

  • The last bowling evening – Stonleigh Lanes in Towson – was very fun, well-attended, good reviews. Family-friendly, BYOB.
  • Chase @ ACRL national sent Claire the list of current ACRL members living in MD – limited in some way by the preferences people set about communications. Don’t know this year’s dollar amount yet.
  • Claire will book again for Jan/Feb

Nominations for next year’s ACRL MD officers due by Oct 1

  • Secretary and VP
  • last year posted a list of requirements to the blog
  • traditionally give secretary first right of refusal to be nominated for VP/Pres Elect

ACRL National in Baltimore next March

  • We do not have any obligation to host events – but we are welcome to. They hold complimentary spaces in the hotels for these types of events – we’d have to pay for catering. Also provided info on times that are open/no conflict
  • Recommended we reach out to other local chapters as well
  • Is it inappropriate to get outside sponsorship for events? Vendors, etc? (Towson had a daylong library conference sponsored by a few big vendors) worth looking into.
  • Agree that we should do something
    • tour of a local library – Peabody?
    • sub-committee to work on this – point person to coordinate
      • Kristen C @ UB volunteered
      • Wrap this in with outreach re: journal club hosts
  • Host state’s association gets a complimentary table at the conference – someone we need to contact about that to staff the table (could do with the other local states)

MLA Conference Planning update

  • Theme – charting new courses
  • still have one slot for a keynote – Thursday
  • planning for some events is dependent on site visit – Sept 22 – Sara is driving if anyone wants to go
  • Delaware academic division is thinking about doing newspaper digitization, online instruction, intellectual freedom
  • looking for 55-60 programs; 4-5 would be sufficient from us
  • not many proposals yet – due Sept 5. typically get a lot at the end. should do reminders.
  • include something about this in the message to ACRL members?
  • form we ask people to submit now makes it less likely people will claim expenses from out of state – ran into trouble with that last year. have been hesitant to send the call beyond MD for that reason
  • have 6 people lined up to review

ACRL-MD Call for Proposals for MLA/DLA 2017 Annual Conference

ACRL-MD Call for Proposals

Deadline: September 5 EXTENDED to September 11, 2016, 11:59pm

Maryland Library Association & Delaware Library Association 2017 Annual Conference
Cambridge, MD, May 10-12, 2017.

Conference theme… Chart New Courses Together

Next year’s joint conference of MLA and DLA will take place in a new location! The Hyatt Regency Chesapeake in Cambridge, MD sits on the banks of the Choptank River. Whether you plan to carpool with your best librarian friends, or arrive by sailboat, with a crew of librarian sailors, ACRL-MD invites you to chart new courses in librarianship! As libraries brave new waters, we are reinventing and reenvisioning our services, spaces, technologies, communities, research, and practice to be relevant and inclusive. Share your ideas with a proposal submission!  

ACRL-MD, the academic libraries division of MLA, is accepting conference proposals until September 5th EXTENDED to September 11.

Standard conference sessions (~ 1 hour), and extended sessions (~2 hours) will be offered. Exact program length will depend on conference schedule. The programs are scheduled throughout the day on Thursday and on Friday morning. The full- and half-day pre-conference workshops will be held on Wednesday, May 10, 2017.

Many sessions sponsored by the ACRL MD are relevant not only for academic librarians but also for our colleagues in other areas of librarianship. For information on recent topics, please take a look at prior programming.

Submit your proposal

Proposals for concurrent sessions are due by 11:59pm on Monday, September 5 EXTENDED to September 11! Conference proposals will undergo a double blind peer-review.  If you have any questions about the conference itself or this CFP, please contact Sara Arnold-Garza (sarnoldgarza | 410-704-3963).

Business Meeting Minutes: July 21, 2016

ACRL MD Meeting – Agenda & Minutes

July 21, 2016

Attending: Natalie Burclaff, Claire Holmes, Kimberly Miller, Robert Miller (notes), Danielle Whren-Johnson

Fall Program Planning

  • We support MILEX’s idea for a program on critical librarianship
  • MILEX has two suggested speakers–we hope to get one of them to be the keynote
  • To cosponsor with MILEX we need to create a letter of understanding.
    • We split costs 50/50, but we get 55% of revenue because of MLA administrative costs
  • We should communicate to MLA tech/access services segment, about the fall program and in general; we need to focus on diverse areas of librarianship, not just instruction
    • We need to think about organizing the fall program to engage different audiences: tech/access, reference, instruction, distance librarians, etc.
  • We want to do a call for lightning talk speakers and have those speakers lead breakout discussion sessions
  • Location possibilities:
    • Loyola-Columbia
    • Towson University Northeastern
    • Anne Arundel Community College
    • College Park
  • Our top choice for a date is November 11
  • Required readings, though they help discussions, might be bring attendance down
  • We want to advertise to two types of audience:
    • those are who completely new to crit lib
    • those who know something about it already, but who want to learn more and want to apply it in their work
  • Learning objectives:
    • Supposedly, we need 1 or 2 objectives per contact hour for CEUs
    • We brainstormed a few learning objectives:
      • Define crit lib
      • Identify ways you can apply crit lib to your library practice
      • Compare and contrast definitions and applications of crit lib
  • We need to plan organizational meetings, at least a kick-off one
    • Maybe a face-to-face meeting with phone-ins
  • Possibility of having virtual participation in the fall program:
    • For example, broadcast keynote, use Google hangouts for lightning talks and breakout discussions
      • We would need volunteers to manage the digital hangouts, etc.
    • Virtual option could bring in more audience members
    • Question of whether a virtual attendee would get some sort of discount
      • Would that discourage people from paying full price to attend onsite?
      • We could charge virtual attendees the same as onsite ones

Other Business

For outreach, we can get a list from ACRL of all its Maryland members

We need to think about an event, such as a social, that we can do for ACRL-Baltimore.

  • We can ask Chase Ollis at ACRL for advice
  • MLA is offered a table in the vendors’ hall
    • ACRL-MD would staff it
    • We would collaborate with Virginia and Delaware

We need to think about timing of spring program, vis-a-vis ACRL-Baltimore.

We will skip the journal club in August. The next one will be in October.

We can get a list of MLA members who have indicated they are interested in academic libraries. Using that list, we can have our own, dedicated listserv used, for instance, for journal club announcements

Happy hour in winter

  • Bowling worked well last time, and the location was good
  • We use ACRL money, and no CEUs to worry about
  • We pay for registration and get reimbursed
  • Attendants pay for bowling shoes and food

 

Business Meeting Minutes: June 17, 2016

ACRL MD Meeting – Agenda & Minutes

June 17th, 2016

Attending: Claire Holmes, Robert Miller (notes), Jordan Sly, Sara Arnold-Garza, Natalie Burclaff, Katy Sullivan, Sophie Reverdy

Business meetings for 2016 – 2017

  • Meetings to be 3rd Friday of the month, 11:00 am, with journal clubs every other month at 11:30 am.
    • Next journal club would be Aug. 19.
    • We must schedule with MLA office to reserve the online room. Robert will send MLA our schedule of meetings.
    • We will check with MILEX to make sure they don’t have an ongoing meeting for third Friday of the month– we don’t want to conflict with them.
    • Assuming MILEX won’t conflict with us, we will continue every third Friday of the month.
  • Need to decide when next journal club will be held. Previous journal clubs were the month after the C&RL publication, which would mean next journal club should be August 19th. (Last year, Natalie contacted the MLA office for a list of members who designate that they were interested in ACRL-MD and shared with Kim to solicit volunteers for journal club.)
    • Journal club is not well attended. Should we continue it? Maybe change format? Maybe just discuss one article?
    • We put out a survey to decide which articles will be chosen. Maybe add a question to the survey to ask people if we should continue with the club.
    • Maybe fine tuning club will help increase attendance. Maybe plan on just two articles for the next two meetings. Maybe cut down total time to 30 minutes rather than an hour.
    • We like the idea of surveying users about the club, what they value, etc. We’ll discuss offline.

MLA/DLA Conference – ACRL MD participation

  • Debrief on 2016 conference
    • ACRL MD had 8 sessions at MLA. But only 3 of the 8 presenters were from MD, which was expensive for MLA (speakers were offered honorariums, etc.). We need to make adjustments in the future, maybe not offer honorariums, travel reimbursements.
  • Planning for 2017 conference
    • Sara will work with MLA on this and will enlist our help.

Debrief on ACRL Online webinars

  • May 18th at UMBC (Accessibility in Action)
    • ACRL offers chapters professional development opportunities. Everyone is welcome to attend. Face-to- face gathering for a webinar. Sometimes have a discussion afterward, a happy hour, etc.
    • About 12-15 people attended one a year ago.
    • UMBC had about 4 people attending.
    • They are low-cost events.

Summer Program, July 21 at Loyola Columbia: “The Best Idea I’ve Heard This Year: Improv-ing Professional Communication”

  • Registrations?
  • Lightening talk proposals?
  • Help with details needed?
    • Natalie is in charge of this.
    • Slight problem with link to Google form (links to Outlook unless you copy and paste the link).
    • Natalie will promote the program some more on social media.
    • For panel session, we need 3 or 4 participants. We’re hoping for suggestions (the Google form asks for that).
    • Natalie will take care of refreshments.
    • Improv speaker is all booked and ready.
    • Question: do we get MLA money if we don’t have enough attendants? Yes, it’s just marked as a loss. It would affect the fall program, which would need to make more money, to compensate for the loss.

Fall program ideas

  • Connect with MILEX?
  • Continue momentum from Scholarly Communications Roadshow?
  • Location?
  • Date?
    • Claire will lead this.
    • We’ve worked with MILEX for the past couple of years on this, would like to continue doing so.
    • Participants in Scholarly Communications Roadshow would like to continue that conversation.
    • Possibly OERs as a topic?
    • Check with MILEX– it’s complicated for them to split funding for the program. Maybe not officially collaborate with them, because it makes their bookkeeping problematic, so we might need to do it a different way.

Next meeting

  • Tentatively July 15th at 11am, but will be discussed further via email and announced if necessary. Quick check in needed before July 21 summer unconference program?
    • We probably won’t meet in July, but Natalie will be in touch with some of us about unconference.
    • We’ll have a face-to- face meeting at end of unconference to discuss fall program.

Other Business?

  • In the future, Robert will send meeting reminder to Marylib the week of a meeting.

The Towson Conference for Academic Libraries Registration is now open!

This is a local, very affordable conference for academic library employees of all kinds.  Also, a presentation opportunity if you are quick (deadline is Monday, 6/20):

 

The Towson Conference for Academic Libraries (TCAL) is excited to announce that registration is now open for our event on Tuesday, August 16th. The cost is $25, or $15 for library school students. The fee covers breakfast, lunch and parking. The purpose of this conference is to address the interests of academic library employees, across departments and classifications.

The deadline for proposals is June 20th. We can already say that the day will include creative and relevant contributions from multiple libraries.

Our keynote panel, Vision for the Future: Managing Change and Fostering Interdepartmental Communication will feature Carol Allen, Library Directory at Harford Community College, Nancy Magnuson, College Librarian at Goucher College, and Lucy Holman, Dean of the Langsdale Library at University of Baltimore.

We’re looking forward to seeing you in August!