ACRL, Maryland Chapter

The official blog of the Maryland Chapter of ACRL

Category Archives: Meeting Minutes

Business Meeting Minutes: Feb. 17, 2017

ACRL MD

Meeting Agenda

February 17, 2017

Attending: Claire Holmes, Jordan Sly, Robert Miller (notes), Barbara Cheadle, Krista Soria, Kim Miller, Natalie Burclaff, Danielle Wren Johnson, Alison Cody, Mark Bieraugel, David Dahl, Kristin Conlin

Updates on ACRL-hosted reception in Baltimore, March 24, 2017, 5:30-7pm, Marriott

Planning Committee: ACRL-DVC Chapter President Martha Stevenson, Claire Holmes, Natalie Burclaff, Sara Arnold Garza, Kim Miller           

  • Estimated guests: ~150
  • Fundraising campaign ran Jan 17-Feb 10,
  • Contributions still accepted by check or portal: https://secure007.membershipsoftware.org/MLAsecure/donation_pay.asp
  • Current pledged contribution total: $7000+
    • ($5839 has been received to date)
  • Contribution deadline: Feb 10
  • Event invitations will go out soon
    • Natalie will probably send out invitations Monday or Tuesday
  • Swag, decorations, etc. still under consideration
    • Ideas welcome
    • We’ll have crab decals!
    • We should plan for:
      • name tags (and recognize donors)
      • Banner
  • Volunteers for planning committee are still welcome

Winter Social – February 24, 2017 (Duckpin Bowling: Stoneleigh Lanes, 6:30-8:30pm)

  • BYOB
  • Pay for your shoes ($4.00)
  • Sara will be collecting small donations for silent auction basket for MLA/DLA

MLA/DLA conference updates – Sara AG

  • Registration open
    • Early bird discount until March 17
  • Sara will coordinate promotion for ACRL MD programming

Summer Program: ACRL-MD Chapter Strategic Planning Meeting… date, time, location TBA

  • Date will be probably June or early July
  • Considering facilitation from an ACRL leader
    • We can get someone for free every four years
    • Possibly president or incoming president of ACRL, or Chase Ollis
  • We need to plan for lunch and find money for lunch
    • Possibly order pizzas (because no food budget for the summer meeting)
  • Maybe have a virtual component for attendees who want to participate but cannot be there onsite
  • Claire is looking forward to networking with other chapter leaders at ACRL 2017
    • That kind of fact finding will help shape our summer meeting
  • We welcome suggestions for people/speakers who can help us at the meeting with strategic planning

New business?

  • USMAI UX group unconference is upcoming: we’ll get invitations
  • Critlib unconference concurrent with preconference at ACRL 2017.

Next meetings:

  • March 17
  • April 21 (including journal club)
  • May 19

Business Meeting Minutes: Jan. 20, 2017

ACRL MD

Meeting Agenda

January 20, 2017

Attending: Claire Holmes, Kim Miller, Pam Williams, Natalie Burclaff, Mike Kiel, Sara Arnold-Garza, Kristin Conlin, Robert Miller (notes)

New Business:

Updates on ACRL-hosted reception in Baltimore, March 24, 2017, 5:30-7pm (right before all-conference reception), Camden-Yards Marriott (one of the host hotels, walking distance from convention center)

Planning Committee: ACRL-DVC Chapter President Martha Stevenson, Claire Holmes, Natalie Burclaff, Sara Arnold Garza, Kim Miller

Planning Meeting held January 6 at TU

  • Collaboration and financial support from ACRL-Delaware Valley Chapter
  • Estimated guests: ~150
    • In Portland, there was good representation from regional chapters around the country
    • Portland had about 144 guests (invited about 300)
  • Fundraising campaign launched in January, with MLA admin support
  • (organizations, institutions & individuals)
  • Contributions accepted by check or portal: https://secure007.membershipsoftware.org/MLAsecure/donation_pay.asp
  • Current pledged contribution total: $5000
    • $2K from ACRL-DVC: thank you!
    • Muse Hopkins Press, CALD, and others
    • ACRL provides us with venue; we’re responsible for food & drink
  • $5000 will be enough, we estimate, which we have now. Anything above that will help add to amenities.
  • Contribution deadline: Feb 10
  • Event invitations will go out early Feb.

Feb Journal Club: 2/17/17

  • Voting is happening now for two articles
  • Robert will contact authors of the two winning articles and invite them to participate in the club

Winter Social – February 24, 2017  (Duckpin Bowling: Stoneleigh Lanes, 6:30-8:30pm)

  • Quintessential Baltimore bowling!
  • People will rsvp through Facebook or to Robert
  • We have 8 people going, 11 interested
  • Natalie will send another announcement to Marylib
  • ACRL will reimburse us for lanes, and we can offer to pay for pizza, too.
  • Family and friends are welcome!

MLA/DLA conference updates – Sara AG

  • ACRL MD will sponsor silent auction basket. Sara will ask for small donations at bowling event.
  • Program is set. Sara will finalize agreements with our speakers.
  • This year there will be a website for the conference–website is being built.
  • March 17 is last day for early-bird registration.
  • CFP is open now for poster sessions.
  • Mike Kiel is organizing pub quiz: donations of inexpensive, fun prizes are welcome
  • Conference still seeking sponsors (libraries, etc.): $250 – $10,000

ACRL-MD Recruitment Plan- any updates?

  • ACRL offers incentive to recruit new members: $10 per new member
  • We’ve planned for 10 new members
  • We hosted satellite events for librarians to gather and view ACRL e-learning webcasts for free
  • Probably in summer will get info from ACRL on new members

Summer Program: ACRL-MD Chapter Strategic Planning Meeting… date, time, location TBA

  • Usually we’ve done an unconference (last summer was the improv event–the leader will do our preconference workshop at MLA/DLA).
  • We think it’s a good time to take stock as a chapter, vis-a-vis MLA and ACRL.
    • MLA is doing strategic planning
    • We think it’s a good idea to do our own strategic planning meeting, which will be our summer event
  • Approximate date?
    • Possibly Loyola Columbia or similar location, in which case we’ll need to decide on a date
    • June or July has been our typical timing, but maybe we will want to change that for this type of planning event
      • Maybe we need to take into account MLA timeline
      • Possibly coordinate with MILEX
        • Possibly meet first on our own and then reach out to MILEX
  • Maybe use surplus money from bowling event
  • ACRL allows us to have a visit from their executive board at a planning event, so we could do that (probably a nominal fee is involved)
    • But then we’d need to have CEUs?
    • We need to discuss further

New business?

  • None

Next meetings:

  • February 17 (plus journal club)
  • March 17 (or break for ACRL?): keep meeting on calendar for now
  • April 21: debrief and discuss summer program

 

Business Meeting Minutes: Nov. 11, 2016

ACRL MD Meeting – Agenda & Minutes

November 11, 2016

Attending: Mike Kiel, Gina Calia-Lotz, Claire Holmes, Natalie Burclaff, Sara Arnold-Garza, Robert Miller (notes)

Webcast: November 16, 2-3:30pm

Connecting Pedagogies: Service Learning & Info Lit

St Mary’s, TU-Northeastern, UMUC

Sara will be in touch with each site contact person the day before the event. We’ll do follow-up promotions with each registrant as per our membership-drive plan.

MLA/DLA conference updates – Sara AG

All of our programs are set; all of the presenters’ forms are in.

We will have a silent auction basket, as we’ve done in the past. Sara will provide details later.

ACRL Recruitment Plan- any updates?

The webcast on Nov. 16 is the first part of our plan, which has as its goal 10 new members.

ACRL-hosted reception in Baltimore, March 22-25, 2017

We are reviewing spaces. CALD has offered money, and we will reach out to vendors, too, for sponsorship.

Winter Social – January/February (Duckpin Bowling: Stoneleigh Lanes, Date/Time tba)

New business?

Rather than a summer program, we want to have a summer meeting to engage in strategic planning. We want to invite ACRL members from Maryland who do not belong to MLA, and structure discussions so these librarians can give us their views on how to increase membership and participation in ACRL-MD. We want to come away from the meeting with goals and an action plan.

Next meetings:

  • December 16, 2016 (includes journal club)
  • January 20, 2017

Business Meeting Minutes: Oct. 21, 2016

ACRL MD Meeting – Agenda & Minutes

October 21, 2016

Attending: Claire Holmes, Robert Miller (notes), Elizabeth Schlackman, Kim Miller, Alison Cody, Danielle Whren Johnson

Fall program updates:

Considering #CritLib: Inclusion and Diversity in Libraries

Emily Drabinski, keynote and facilitator
Friday, Nov 11, 9:30am-3pm, Loyola-Columbia
Breakfast and lunch refreshments included.
Collaboration with MILEX: MLA/MILEX registration rate is $60. Non-member rate is $90

Invitations/Info are out via blog, FB, MILEX email, Marylib

MLA handling registrations, currently 32 rsvp’s

We’ll be sending out more invites. Please encourage your colleagues to attend, too.

We can probably add attendees very close to the conference date.

Next planning meeting October 27, via phone

All are invited to help with planning. You can email Claire: cholmes@towson.edu

We’ll review proposals for lightning talks. 

Journal club: Today! Thanks to Elizabeth Schlackman for moderating!

MLA/DLA conference – Sara AG

A total of 54 programs and 9 pre-conferences have been approved for the conference. This includes ACRL MD’s:

  • 5/10/17, Wednesday, 1-4 pm, “Effective Communication: Listen, Agree, and Add” – 3 hour preconference with Bridget Cavaiola (educator and improve performer)
  • 5/11/17, Thursday, 9-10 am, “Research-to-Writing: Helping Students Integrate Sources into a Research Project” – Robert Miller UMUC and Sandie Friedman, writing instructor from GWU
  • 5/11/17, Thursday, 10:45-11 am, “Collaborating for Course Correction: Partnering to Help Students Understand Ethical Use” – Brandy Whitlock and colleague AACC
  • 5/11/17, Thursday, 1:30-2:30 pm, “Information Literacy as Smuggled Cargo: Embedding Outcomes using Curriculum Mapping” – Kristin Conlin and Natalie Burclaff UB

I will be collecting publicity and speaker commitment forms next week, so as long as none of that goes wrong, the details above should hold.

Nominations for next year’s officers due by November 1, 2016 

Self-nominations welcome to Claire (cholmes@towson.edu) by October 26.

ACRL-MD Recruitment Plan – Sara AG

Learned recently that chapters get  a $10/new member bonus in the annual resource allocation if we submit a recruitment plan to ACRL. I did so last week – it includes multisite webinar viewing and discussion events in November and repeated in the Spring, bowling event in February, and local chapters reception at ACRL next March. I have identified 3 potential sites for the 11/16 webinar and will recruit a local host to help us get the event going. Once confirmed, I’ll communicate regarding promotion of the event.

ACRL in Baltimore, March 22-25, 2017

  • Local library: HSHSL or UBalt have offered
    • HSHSL would be good because you can easily walk there from conference
      • Also their maker space would be interesting for people to see
    • CALD pledged monetary support and likes the idea of a meet-up
    • Natalie contacted other regional chapter leadership (Virginia, Delaware Valley PA)
    • Natalie, Sara AG, Claire are working on this and welcome others! Please email Claire if you’re interested: cholmes@towson.edu 

Winter Social – January/February (Duckpin Bowling: Stoneleigh Lanes, Date/Time tba) 

New business?

None

Next meetings:

November 18, 2016 (Needed? Possible to add agenda to 11/11 after workshop?)

We will plan to do a face-to-face meeting at end of 11/11 CritLib workshop

December 16, 2016 (includes journal club)

Business Meeting Minutes: Sept. 16, 2016

ACRL MD Meeting – Agenda & Minutes

September 16, 2016

Attending: Natalie Burclaff, Claire Holmes, Sara Arnold-Garza, Robert Miller (notes), Alison Cody, Elizabeth Schlackman, Kim Miller

Fall program updates:

Considering #CritLib: Inclusion and Diversity in Libraries

  • Emily Drabinski, keynote and facilitator
  • Friday, Nov 11, 9:30am-3pm, Loyola-Columbia
  • Collaboration with MILEX: MLA/MILEX registration rate is $60. Non-member rate is $90
  • Invitations/Info are out via blog, FB, MILEX email, Marylib
  • MLA handling registrations
  • MILEX handling call for Lightning Talks
    • MILEX has received proposals for lightning talks
  • Over lunch, attendees will vote on topic of “unconference” discussion at the end of day, facilitated by Emily Drabinski. 
    • We’ll also have report-outs from group discussions.
  • Maybe Natalie and others will help with further advertising
    • Natalie will make an image to be used for further advertising
  • We can cross-promote our program with ACRL-2017 critlib unconference
  • Joint Planning Meeting: 9/19, noon (conference call)
  • To join using the internet (you need a microphone and speakers or a headset):
    • Go to freeconferencecall.com;
    • Click on Online Meetings;
    • Select Join Meeting;
    • Enter Online Meeting ID: sbg
    • To join using the your phone:
      • Call 641-715-3580;
      • Enter Access Code: 737-107

Journal club: Oct 21

  • Dates for the year are noted on blog, all have discussion leaders assigned.
  • Claire is sole member of executive committee who is able to attend the Oct. 21 journal club.
    • Robert will copy her when he emails Elizabeth Schlackman, who will facilitate the October discussion.

Winter Social – January/February

  • Duckpin Bowling: Stoneleigh Lanes
  • Date/Time tba
  • We’ll choose a Friday

MLA/DLA conference – Sara AG, site visit in Cambridge Sept 22, 11am

  • We didn’t get a strong response to CFP. (Because of ACRL 2017 in Baltimore, we thought we would have fewer proposals.)
    • But we will have 2-3 presentations, which is not bad.
  • We might be able to invite someone to speak? Maybe someone local from IT, or another field outside of librarianship.
    • Maybe we could invite someone who proposed lightning talk for MILEX/ACRL critlib conference?
    • Maybe we could invite the improv artist who ran a workshop at our summer program.
    • Maybe email academic librarians near Cambridge, MD. Claire can reach out to CALD.

Nominations for next year’s officers due by October 1, 2016     

  • Self-nominations, suggestions welcome

ACRL in Baltimore, March 22-25, 2017

  • Restaurant/Bar reception
    • CALD pledged monetary support and likes the idea of a restaurant reception/meet-up
  • Arrange a tour… Peabody?
  • Topical Interest dinners? Fund raising… (Brewer’s Art?)
  • We want suggestions for an event
  • We should put together a task group
    • Natalie volunteered
    • Others who want to volunteer can email Claire
  • New UB law school building, we could reserve space there for a party, if CALD pays for catering
    • Hopefully that’s not too far north–it’s convenient to public transit
  • Alison says that restaurants/bars require a minimum amount for food. So we have to be careful of that
  • Sara says that catering/alcohol could be cheaper in UB building, rather than in a restaurant/bar
  • We can go back to CALD to discuss money when we have more solid plans in place
  • Brewer’s Art is owned by former librarian. Natalie can reach out to him

New business?

  • None

Next meeting: October 21, 2016

Business Meeting Minutes: April 15th, 2016

ACRL MD Business Meeting – April 15th, 2016

Attendees: Natalie Burclaff, Sara Arnold-Garza, Kimberly Miller, Claire Holmes, Jenny Innes

Webinars 

  • April 6th webinar hosted at Towson. 8 people attended, mostly Towson librarians. There was a discussion among a few participants based on material for the webinar – for example, how to organize guides by learning outcome. Natalie will find out if we can share the webinar recording with everyone
  • Claire will receive information for the May 18th webinar (to be hosted at UMBC) – Natalie will remind Clare that she may need to email them directly for a link if not already received

Unconference

  • No one has volunteered to take the lead on the summer unconference yet – Natalie talking to someone at UB who may be interested in joining MLA, but probably will not lead this particular program
  • “Best think you heard about this year” theme selected and – People can share what they’ve learned at conferences, webinars, etc.
  • Tentatively scheduled for late July. July 22nd suggested. Kim will check with Sarah Crest to see if MILEX has a summer meeting date in order to avoid scheduling conflicts
  • Natalie suggested trying to find an indoor/outdoor space that is free or low cost and has parking. Claire suggested Oregon Ridge might be a place to look into
  • Natalie will submit MLA paperwork with the theme and then we’ll go from there
  • There is a question about whether we can charge or how much we can charge for a program where there are no planned speakers

MLA/DLA Conference Updates

  • All 8 programs are on board
  • Claire is working out details of handouts, etc. MLA will print handouts, but most speakers will bring their own
  • Claire working on silent auction basket and still taking contributions
  • Natalie volunteered to help with session intros, etc.
  • There was some discussion about soliciting speaker bios – it is optional.
  • Claire to pick up speaker packets with checks, etc. to distribute to moderators

May 20th meeting is cancelled.

MLA/DLA conference wrap up meeting and on-boarding of new officers at June 17th meeting

Business Meeting Minutes, March 18, 2016

In attendance: Natalie Burclaff, Danielle Whren Johnson, Sara Arnold-Garza, Alison Cody

  • MLA/DLA conference
    • registration – earlybird pricing extended to 4/1/16
    • Kim scheduled all the session descriptions on the blog, scheduled to go out on Wednesdays
  • MLA executive board meeting recap from Wednesday
    • vote for ACRL MD officers!
      • Sara Arnold-Garza running for President-Elect
      • Secretary: Mike Keil (UB), Christine Ameduri (independent), Robert Miller (University of MD University College)
        • Chris and Robert helped with conference review proposals and they were recruited through that!
      • vote for ALA officers
        • Sara Arnold-Garza, Lindsey Sarin, Joyce Garczynski and other MLA members are running for various ALA positions
      • ACRL chapters council
        • Danielle used to go but her term on the committee expired and she’s going to other meetings now.
        • We should identify a rep from ACRL MD to attend the ALA
      • ALA does not do a good job of representing state chapters. Lucy Holman is the ALA council member for Maryland, but she’s not required to be a member of MLA. ALA has approved an Advocacy Implementation Plan (http://www.ala.org/groups/sites/ala.org.groups/files/content/affiliates/chapters/chapterdocuments/Strategic%20Directions%20Advocacy%20Implementation%20Plan%205-15-15.pdf) which does not explicitly mention state associations.
      • MLA has adopted the ALA Code of Conduct for conferences for ALL MLA events and meetings: http://alamw14.ala.org/statement-of-appropriate-conduct
  • ACRL webinar
    • We get two free webinars a year through ACRL. Their year is closing soon. Natalie set up a poll, most people chose one on April 6: Modern Pathfinders: Easy Techniques to Make Better Research Guides.
    • Sessions on April 7 (Teaching at the intersections: Aligning scholarly communication and information literacy in the one-shot library instruction session) and May 18 (Accessibility in Action) were tied.
    • We only get one login and need to identify an institution to host this.
      • LNDL can probably host, but Danielle can’t be the point person for April 6, but will look into hosting on May 18.
      • Natalie will put a call out to the ACRL MD list and see if anyone will host on April 6.
      • Goucher has hosted one recently.
  • ACRL Scholarly Roadshow workshop
    • A certain number of seats were held for USMAI and MICUA librarians. Registration has now opened for others, it’s only $20. Natalie has been working on promoting this.
  • Unconference
    • We originally thought the roadshow could serve as the spring program, but Natalie thinks we should do something.
    • Typically the ACRL MD Past President handles the unconference, but Gergana can’t plan it this year. Natalie is gone for most of May.
    • We have about a month to figure this out if we want to do this in June and stay within the PDP guidelines for when we submit our paperwork.
    • Alison and Sara can help, but neither of them can chair the committee. Natalie will approach the people running for Secretary to see if they want to be involved.
    • What about something more information where people recap the roadshow and the MLA conference?
      • Professional Development Roundup! “The best thing I saw this year”

*Special thanks to Alison for taking minutes!

Business Meeting Minutes, February 19th, 2016

ACRL MD Business Meeting, February 19th, 2016
Attendees: Claire Holmes, Kim Miller, Natalie Burclaff, Patty MacDonald, Sara Arnold-Garza

MLA/DLA Annual Conference Updates – CH

  • ​CH working to finalize paperwork for the 8 ACRL-MD programs
  • Marketing programs
    • Need to try to appeal to academic librarians to register and attend MLA/DLA conference. Selling points may be that it is local and a good opportunity to meet other librarians. NB suggested using these points to make a and distribute a flyer.
    • Claire has a contact with DLA to help market academic library-related sessions together with DLA (about 10 total throughout conference)
    • ACRL-MD does not have silent auction contribution yet, need to collect money and other contributions. SAG suggested we may be able to collect donations at the bowling social hour tonight
    • Outlets? Blog, social media, Marylib
      • Blog: In previous years, blog posts have highlighted a different section each week, can write posts all at one time and then schedule to post throughout the next several weeks. NB will email Alison Cody to see if she will once again help with the blog posts.
      • Lanyrd: CH will check to see if she can edit programs in MLA/DLA conference, tag programs with “ACRL-MD” and then share link to distribute/market programs – MLA/DLA 2016 is not on Lanyrd yet, so we may need to create a single blog post listing all programs. CH will find out if conference is still using Lanyrd.
    • Preconference has been selected to be one of the programs specially advertised through MLA/DLA 2016 communications
  • Registration for the conference is now open
  • Volunteer sign-up is also open (e.g., silent auction, registration, book tables)

Bowling Social – Tonight!

  • 5 lanes
  • NB will be name tags and a sign, but will be leaving work around 6pm (so will be there closer to 6pm)
  • NB, CH, and others may want to bring beverages to share because the alley is BYOB. Not sure if this also extends to non-alcoholic beverages and food.
  • Someone needs to pay for lanes out of pocket, save receipt, and then reimburse through ACRL national

Scholarly Communications Roadshow – April 19th

  • USMAI and MICUA registration is now open, and a link was sent to CALD
  • March 15th – registration opens more widely, $20 covers food and overhead costs

Towson University Conference

  • ​Adam Zukowski contacted NB to see if ACRL-MD would like to participate or help
  • It would be difficult for ACRL-MD to help without filing a lot of paperwork with MLA and we probably cannot do that in the time frame needed

Remember that ACRL-MD can sponsor ACRL webinars for free

  • ​NB suggested meeting attendees should look at the list of current webinars (which is updated regularly)
  • Current webinars: http://www.ala.org/acrl/webcasts
  • We can select a webinar to create an event

Summer Unconference

  • NB will check bylaws to see how many programs we’re required to offer each year
  • Good to continue the tradition of a more casual summer unconference
  • NB will also check in with Gergana Kostova since the summer unconference is typically the immediate past president’s event
  • Unconference theme idea: If there is enough interest in scholarly communication ideas from the roadshow, the unconference may be a response to or an extensive of that theme

Business Meeting Minutes, January 15th, 2016

ACRL MD Business Meeting, January 15th, 2016

Attendees: Claire Holmes, Kimberly Miller, Sara Arnold-Garza, Alison Cody, Jo Gadsby
 
Happy Hour Bowling – Friday, January 22nd at 6:30pm, Stoneleigh Lanes
  • Our Facebook event site is collecting RSVPs (plus blog comments and/or replies directly to Kim via Marylib announcement) – we may need some type of confirmation mechanism to get a more accurate headcount (i.e., who may be bringing friends, family, etc.). There are likely a few people who are happy to hang out without bowling
  • Remember this is BYOB/food, ACRL-MD will provide lanes and attendees are responsible for other expenses (including shoes!)
ACRL Scholarly Communications Roadshow – April 19th, time TBA
  • ACRL MD/USMAI/MICUA collaboration chosen to host!
  • Event will be April 19th hosted by Towson University. Rick Davis will coordinate for TU.
  • Wide-scale advertising should after Chuck Thomas (USMAI) sends announcement to USMAI.
  • Event can accommodate up to 100 attendees, with the first priority registration divided between USMAI (55), MICUA (25), and current iSchool students (20). At least 40 attendees required for event to occur.
  • Kim suggested that there may be area academic librarians not covered by these groups (e.g., community college librarians), and we might need to be aware of making sure they know they are available to register. Claire will check with the planning group to see how we might make sure to make this accommodation as seamless as possible. It may not be a problem depending on how many attendees register through USMAI/MICUA/library schools
  • Minimal registration fee (hopefully ~$25) to cover lunch, parking, venue, etc. This fee is on par with, or lower than, other ACRL MD events
 
MLA/DLA Annual Conference 2016 – ACRL MD offerings
  • May 4-6 in Ocean City, conference registration should open soon
  • ACRL MD is offering 1 preconference workshop and 7 regular sessions (1 session is a two-hours session, the rest are one-hour)
  • All the paperwork for AV/room set up, etc. is finished!
  • ACRL MD will to start marketing sessions very soon, especially given the investment MLA has made in the division’s speakers
  • Next conference committee meeting is Wednesday, 1/20
  • Most ACRL MD speakers are traveling in from outside of MD, a good opportunity to advertise new voices that will be coming to the conference (e.g., from VA and NY)
  • Claire shared session details for the ACRL MD sponsored sessions
  • Some programs have been highlighted to be useful across many different library sessions – ACRL MD preconference session will be marketed widely through the conference committee
  • Sara suggested we make sure we consider how to craft marketing that is explicit in what the sessions will entail (sometimes just the title or the short title alone will not accurately reflect the sessions), and suggested that we coordinate with DLA groups for marketing to Delaware academic librarians. Claire will work with the DLA rep to the conference committee to see if there is someone in the Delaware academic library community we can work with for publicity
  • Claire will add dates and times to the information before distributing for marketing. Coordinate via email to get marketing starting. Contact Claire if you have any other ideas.
  • Conference is using Lanyrd again, so we should be able to tag sessions as ACRL MD sponsored which may help academic librarians identify a “track” (should they wish)
 
Spring/Summer UnConference
  • Usually June or July, but perhaps ACRL MD’s co-sponsorship of the Scholarly Communications Roadshow could impact the planning this year
  • Event is typically planned by the ACRL MD immediate past-president, and Claire will check in with Gergana
  • Meeting attendees suggested that we might be able to “spin off” the Roadshow to have a more in-depth discussion. For example, we might host a webinar or online discussion where people could discuss what they learned at the Roadshow or how it connects to initiatives at Maryland-area libraries. The Unconference theme could be related to scholarly communications to encourage more in-depth conversations.
 
Next meeting: Friday, February 19th, 11am (followed by journal club at 11:30am-12:3pm, hosted by Patty MacDonald)

Business Meeting Minutes, December 18th, 2015

ACRL MD Business Meeting, December 18th, 2015

Attendaning: Natalie Burclaff, Kim Miller, Laksamee Putnam, Alison Cody, Danielle, Maggie Dull, Sara Arnold-Garza, David Dahl

Debriefing on the fall program – Natalie

  • 50 attendees. The program made a profit, which will be split with MILEX
  • Evaluations were all positive and included good feedback
  • Program:
    • Thomas Atwood from the University of Toledo – great keynote, outlining issues of libraries and transfer students, what transfer students experience moving between institutions (e.g., Catherine Flaga’s work with “transfer shock”), and why students transfer, etc.
    • Lighting talks – good mix between different types of schools
    • Student panel – Anne Arundel CC to Towson and St. Mary’s, incentives for library participation needed for students who may not otherwise be motivated to make the connection, suggested “how to research the campus” might be a good connection between new transfers who may not be writing research papers right away
    • Unconference in the afternoon

Winter Happy Hour updates – Natalie

  • Duckpin bowling was discussed at a previous ACRL MD business meeting, Natalie was looking into funding from ACRL
  • ACRL-MD has significant number of speakers to be paid for MLA/DLA conference, significantly more than other divisions Money required for speakers means we will not be able to have funds to cover happy hour.
  • Alison suggested that during next year’s conference proposal reviews it may be good to look at how much funding will be required for travel.
  • Natalie to look into ACRL national money for maybe bowling in January
  • Meeting attendees offered some other possibilities for low-cost social activities, which could be used in January in lieu of bowling or at another time
    • Volunteer opportunity rather than an activity that requires funding?
    • Potluck?
    • Museum?

Scholarships for conferences/ Free professional development ideas – Natalie

  • Natalie talked to Margaret about incentivizing people to more actively participate in divisions/meetings, etc. throughout the year and attending MLA/DLA conference
  • MLA scholarship grants – a portion of the form asks for a description of current MLA activities, which is factored into funding decision

Summer Unconference/ Updates from Scholarly Communications Roadshow  – Natalie

  • Past president usually in charge of summer unconference (Gergana)
  • No news yet on Scholarly Communications Roadshow, notification deadline pushed back, will hopefully hear news by the end of today (in partnership with USMAI), will need to see what costs are incurred with locations or catering that will dictate any fee

Updates on MLA conference – Kim filling in for Claire

  • Last conference committee meeting was November 18th, 2015. December meeting was cancelled because all divisions had their forms in by the deadline
  • Claire is working with presenters to arrange AV, seating, technology requirements, etc.
  • ACRL MD has 8 sessions – one pre conference, one two-hour session, and six one-hour sessions
  • Conference registration will open in January
  • Conference pub crawl planning is in progress (instead of dance of previous years). This will be the same night that ACRL MD usually hosts a happy hour. Options may be to cancel the happy hour or move to a different day.
  • There will be a digital scavenger hunt during the conference with auto-responders and added hints on printed mini guides. There is a committee working on this, no ACRL MD involvement needed.
  • Volunteers needed:
    • Need to recruit volunteers for conference registration and book sale tables – ideally two, one-hour shifts. ACRL MD volunteers would be great, consider volunteering if you’re attending the conference
    • Each division needs to contribute donations for silent auction (more and smaller baskets needed) – send ideas to Claire.
    • Poster session needs a volunteer coordinator – will help with call for proposals, recruit reviewers, coordinate with logistics, attend the conference and be available for set up on Wednesday plus poster session on Thursday