The official blog of the Maryland Chapter of ACRL
2014 MLA/DLA Conference Details
The program is now available for this year’s Maryland Library Association and Delaware Library Association joint conference: Turn It UP! The conference will be held from May 7-9 at the Clarion Resort Hotel in Ocean City, MD. As always, the conference will provide a wealth of educational opportunities for librarians of all stripes. As we have for the past couple of years, ACRL MD once again used a blind peer-review process to select most programs:
- Rev Up Information Literacy Assessment: Use Rubrics to Close That Loop! (Wednesday afternoon pre-conference)
- Pump Up the Classroom: Flipped Library Instruction for Enhanced Student Engagement (invited session)
- iPowered One-Shots: Tablets in Library Instruction
- Everyone is a Designer (invited session)
- Putting the Value Back Into Event Evaluation
- Maybe We’re All In(ventorying) It Together
- Measuring Students’ Information Literacy Skills: An Assessment Strategy
- Knowing Your Audience: User Centered Design Principles Applied to Library Websites (invited session)
- Parents, Alumni and Libraries: What Customers Really Believe About the Library
- Digging Into the Recent Past: Retooling Discipline Specific Instruction
- Introducing Calibre and Sigil: Two e-Book Software Packages
Each week between now and the conference, we’ll highlight one of these sessions in greater depth. Naturally, you can also find out more by taking a look at the conference program (PDF).
In other conference news, the General Session and All Conference Reception will be held on Wednesday evening again this year. Be sure you make it out to Ocean City in time to catch Garry Golden’s address at 4:30pm. Golden is a futurist, who, according to the conference program, “teaches audiences how to close gaps that might exist between changes happening in the outside world against changes occurring within their own organizations and communities.” This is sure to be a provocative talk, so don’t miss it!
The Conference Committee is encouraging divisions, interest groups, and like-minded attendees to arrange social events immediately following the All Conference Reception (running from 6-7pm this year). ACRL MD is planning a get-together at Liquid Assets. Additional information about our event, and others, will be released closer to the conference.
Additional conference speakers include poet Linda Pastan, recipient of this year’s Maryland Author Award; Aaron Henkin, co-creator of WYPR’s “The Signal;” and the Librarian in Black, Sarah Houghton, Director of the San Rafael (CA) Public Library.
New programming for this year includes Sunrise Yoga on the Beach, a Hospitality Suite where conference attendees can take a breather, and a Networking Uncommons where you can connect with other attendees.
In addition to the programs we’re sponsoring, there are plenty of other interesting sessions being sponsored by other divisions. Here are just a few (I found it particularly hard to limit myself to 6 this year, so be sure to look at the program closely):
- Serving Families and Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Reference and Circulation Librarians (afternoon pre-conference)
- Privacy in Libraries: Maintaining Confidentiality – It’s Everyone’s Business (afternoon pre-conference)
- “It’s Not My Job:” Convincing Staff Why It Is Their Job
- Simple, Cheap and STEAM-Y: Creating STEAM Maker Space Programming @ Your Library
- Common Challenges, Simple Strategies: Advice for the New (and Aspiring) Supervisor
- Coping With Mental Illness: Strategies for Staff and Supervisors
The conference will be held from May 7-9 at the Clarion Resort Hotel in Ocean City, MD. Registration is open now (see the conference program [PDF] for details), and early bird rates are good through March 14. Members of several other regional professional associations are also eligible for the member rate*!
Lastly, I’d be remiss if I didn’t’ mention that ACRL MD’s own David Dahl is the Conference Director this year. If you see him dashing by you at the conference, be sure to shout your thanks in his wake!
*Members of the following organizations are eligible to register at the member rate: DLA, MLA, MASL, REFORMA, CVLA, CML, DCLA, DC/SLA, MD/SLA, MAILL, MAPLA, LLAM, CALD and the Conference of Maryland Court Law Library Directors.