Hello, 2019! I hope you all had wonderful holidays.
Remember that it’s not too late to register for Breaking Down Barriers: Improving Inclusion for those with Disabilities.
To focus the discussion on welcoming spaces and information-access barriers for those with disabilities, we would like to hear from YOU about what you’re interested in discussing. It would be awesome if you could answer all or any of these questions in the comments, or Tweet at us at @acrlmd.
1) What have you witnessed or experienced (or failed to witness or experience) in your institution that has led you to think there are barriers to your library services and resources?
2) What have you and your colleagues already done to try making your library and workplace more welcoming to the disabled (which could include those with low vision or hearing, or those who are non-neurotypical)? How has it worked for you? How not?
3) What else could be added to this conversation?
Register now for ACRL-MD’s 2013 Unconference – “Discovery: It’s What Patrons Crave”.
Lately, if you say the word “discovery” to a librarian, many of us immediately think of discovery services, the elusive “one box to search them all.” But this is just one incarnation of discovery for us.
Our patrons use all sorts of tools and techniques to uncover the information they need. From learning how efficient a well-crafted Boolean search can be to realizing how much you can find in ten minutes spent looking at the right section of shelving, discovery takes a variety of forms. What are your users discovering? How are they finding it? What are they missing? What tools are you providing them with? What tools are they finding and adopting themselves?
Engage in roundtable discussions, hear lightning talks, and contribute a participant-voted talk. Join us, and share what’s being discovered (or not) in your library – and how! Bring your questions, ideas, and experiences and help shape the discovery conversation. The unconference will kick off with a series of lightning talks, which will be followed by roundtable discussions and talks chosen by you and other attendees.
Date: Wednesday, July 24th
- 9-9:30 Registration/Breakfast
- 9:30-10:30 Lightning Round Talks
- 10:30-11:15 Round Table Discussions
- 11:15-11:30 Break
- 11:30-12:00 Vote on Show & Tell Demos & Micro-Workshops
- 12:00-1:15 User Voted Talks
- 1:15 – 1:30 Wrap Up & Evaluations
**Continue the conversation at lunch following the unconference**
UMBC on the 7th floor of the Albin O. Kuhn Library & Gallery (1000 Hilltop Cir Baltimore, MD 21250). Directions and a campus map found athttp://aok.lib.umbc.edu/directions/
- MLA Members: $30
- Non-MLA Members: $45
- Students: $25.50
Registration deadline is Wednesday, July 17th. Register at https://www.mdlib.org/happenings/register.asp.