ACRL MD Meeting – Agenda & Minutes
October 21, 2016
Attending: Claire Holmes, Robert Miller (notes), Elizabeth Schlackman, Kim Miller, Alison Cody, Danielle Whren Johnson
Fall program updates:
Considering #CritLib: Inclusion and Diversity in Libraries
Emily Drabinski, keynote and facilitator
Friday, Nov 11, 9:30am-3pm, Loyola-Columbia
Breakfast and lunch refreshments included.
Collaboration with MILEX: MLA/MILEX registration rate is $60. Non-member rate is $90
Invitations/Info are out via blog, FB, MILEX email, Marylib
MLA handling registrations, currently 32 rsvp’s
We’ll be sending out more invites. Please encourage your colleagues to attend, too.
We can probably add attendees very close to the conference date.
Next planning meeting October 27, via phone
All are invited to help with planning. You can email Claire: firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ll review proposals for lightning talks.
Journal club: Today! Thanks to Elizabeth Schlackman for moderating!
MLA/DLA conference – Sara AG
A total of 54 programs and 9 pre-conferences have been approved for the conference. This includes ACRL MD’s:
- 5/10/17, Wednesday, 1-4 pm, “Effective Communication: Listen, Agree, and Add” – 3 hour preconference with Bridget Cavaiola (educator and improve performer)
- 5/11/17, Thursday, 9-10 am, “Research-to-Writing: Helping Students Integrate Sources into a Research Project” – Robert Miller UMUC and Sandie Friedman, writing instructor from GWU
- 5/11/17, Thursday, 10:45-11 am, “Collaborating for Course Correction: Partnering to Help Students Understand Ethical Use” – Brandy Whitlock and colleague AACC
- 5/11/17, Thursday, 1:30-2:30 pm, “Information Literacy as Smuggled Cargo: Embedding Outcomes using Curriculum Mapping” – Kristin Conlin and Natalie Burclaff UB
I will be collecting publicity and speaker commitment forms next week, so as long as none of that goes wrong, the details above should hold.
Nominations for next year’s officers due by November 1, 2016
Self-nominations welcome to Claire (email@example.com) by October 26.
ACRL-MD Recruitment Plan – Sara AG
Learned recently that chapters get a $10/new member bonus in the annual resource allocation if we submit a recruitment plan to ACRL. I did so last week – it includes multisite webinar viewing and discussion events in November and repeated in the Spring, bowling event in February, and local chapters reception at ACRL next March. I have identified 3 potential sites for the 11/16 webinar and will recruit a local host to help us get the event going. Once confirmed, I’ll communicate regarding promotion of the event.
ACRL in Baltimore, March 22-25, 2017
- Local library: HSHSL or UBalt have offered
- HSHSL would be good because you can easily walk there from conference
- Also their maker space would be interesting for people to see
- CALD pledged monetary support and likes the idea of a meet-up
- Natalie contacted other regional chapter leadership (Virginia, Delaware Valley PA)
- Natalie, Sara AG, Claire are working on this and welcome others! Please email Claire if you’re interested: firstname.lastname@example.org
Winter Social – January/February (Duckpin Bowling: Stoneleigh Lanes, Date/Time tba)
November 18, 2016 (Needed? Possible to add agenda to 11/11 after workshop?)
We will plan to do a face-to-face meeting at end of 11/11 CritLib workshop
December 16, 2016 (includes journal club)