Attendees: Kim Miller, Andrea Craley, Gina Calia-Lotz, Mike Kiel, Natalie Burclaff, Sara Arnold-Garza
Report from first Board Meeting & Conference Committee Meeting – Mike
- MLA goals for the year and how ACRL-MD can contribute to those goals
- Strong emphasis on member recruitment and retention, program planning process revision and strong emphasis on divisions collaborating, and advocacy
- Suggestions include collaborating with other divisions and/or interest groups to provide programming
- What expertise can ACRL-MD offer to other divisions? College expectations for students (e.g., from school librarians and/or public librarians)
- How can academic libraries get more involved in advocacy? ACRL Chapters Council will be coming out with information for academic librarians about how to become more involved in advocacy
- Keep thinking about it! Email an officer with other ideas
- Changes to the MLA/DLA Annual Conference
- Clear interest in sessions with multi-topics (e.g., Ignite or lightning talks).
- Cap this year on the number of conference sessions
- Fall Program
- Hoping to partner with Leadership Development Division for program on diverse organizations
- Original speaker idea is prohibitively expensive, but Mike may have an idea of someone from UMUC. If we don’t have any other ideas we may need a back-up program idea
- Needs to come together quickly
- Mike will create blog post/email with volunteer opportunities and the number one opportunity will be Fall program planning. Sara AG volunteered to work with others to come up with back-up idea.
- Volunteer opportunities – contact an officer
- Coordinator for ACRL MD submissions to the CRAB
- Reviewing bylaws
- Officer nominations for next year (VP and Secretary) by October
- Social events – what would you love to do?
Adjourned 11:30am for journal club
Next meeting: August 17th