January 20, 2017
Attending: Claire Holmes, Kim Miller, Pam Williams, Natalie Burclaff, Mike Kiel, Sara Arnold-Garza, Kristin Conlin, Robert Miller (notes)
Updates on ACRL-hosted reception in Baltimore, March 24, 2017, 5:30-7pm (right before all-conference reception), Camden-Yards Marriott (one of the host hotels, walking distance from convention center)
Planning Committee: ACRL-DVC Chapter President Martha Stevenson, Claire Holmes, Natalie Burclaff, Sara Arnold Garza, Kim Miller
Planning Meeting held January 6 at TU
- Collaboration and financial support from ACRL-Delaware Valley Chapter
- Estimated guests: ~150
- In Portland, there was good representation from regional chapters around the country
- Portland had about 144 guests (invited about 300)
- Fundraising campaign launched in January, with MLA admin support
- (organizations, institutions & individuals)
- Contributions accepted by check or portal: https://secure007.membershipsoftware.org/MLAsecure/donation_pay.asp
- Current pledged contribution total: $5000
- $2K from ACRL-DVC: thank you!
- Muse Hopkins Press, CALD, and others
- ACRL provides us with venue; we’re responsible for food & drink
- $5000 will be enough, we estimate, which we have now. Anything above that will help add to amenities.
- Contribution deadline: Feb 10
- Event invitations will go out early Feb.
Feb Journal Club: 2/17/17
- Voting is happening now for two articles
- Robert will contact authors of the two winning articles and invite them to participate in the club
Winter Social – February 24, 2017 (Duckpin Bowling: Stoneleigh Lanes, 6:30-8:30pm)
- Quintessential Baltimore bowling!
- People will rsvp through Facebook or to Robert
- We have 8 people going, 11 interested
- Natalie will send another announcement to Marylib
- ACRL will reimburse us for lanes, and we can offer to pay for pizza, too.
- Family and friends are welcome!
MLA/DLA conference updates – Sara AG
- ACRL MD will sponsor silent auction basket. Sara will ask for small donations at bowling event.
- Program is set. Sara will finalize agreements with our speakers.
- This year there will be a website for the conference–website is being built.
- March 17 is last day for early-bird registration.
- CFP is open now for poster sessions.
- Mike Kiel is organizing pub quiz: donations of inexpensive, fun prizes are welcome
- Conference still seeking sponsors (libraries, etc.): $250 – $10,000
ACRL-MD Recruitment Plan- any updates?
- ACRL offers incentive to recruit new members: $10 per new member
- We’ve planned for 10 new members
- We hosted satellite events for librarians to gather and view ACRL e-learning webcasts for free
- Probably in summer will get info from ACRL on new members
Summer Program: ACRL-MD Chapter Strategic Planning Meeting… date, time, location TBA
- Usually we’ve done an unconference (last summer was the improv event–the leader will do our preconference workshop at MLA/DLA).
- We think it’s a good time to take stock as a chapter, vis-a-vis MLA and ACRL.
- MLA is doing strategic planning
- We think it’s a good idea to do our own strategic planning meeting, which will be our summer event
- Approximate date?
- Possibly Loyola Columbia or similar location, in which case we’ll need to decide on a date
- June or July has been our typical timing, but maybe we will want to change that for this type of planning event
- Maybe we need to take into account MLA timeline
- Possibly coordinate with MILEX
- Possibly meet first on our own and then reach out to MILEX
- Maybe use surplus money from bowling event
- ACRL allows us to have a visit from their executive board at a planning event, so we could do that (probably a nominal fee is involved)
- But then we’d need to have CEUs?
- We need to discuss further
- February 17 (plus journal club)
- March 17 (or break for ACRL?): keep meeting on calendar for now
- April 21: debrief and discuss summer program