ACRL MD Meeting – Agenda & Minutes
September 16, 2016
Attending: Natalie Burclaff, Claire Holmes, Sara Arnold-Garza, Robert Miller (notes), Alison Cody, Elizabeth Schlackman, Kim Miller
Fall program updates:
Considering #CritLib: Inclusion and Diversity in Libraries
- Emily Drabinski, keynote and facilitator
- Friday, Nov 11, 9:30am-3pm, Loyola-Columbia
- Collaboration with MILEX: MLA/MILEX registration rate is $60. Non-member rate is $90
- Invitations/Info are out via blog, FB, MILEX email, Marylib
- MLA handling registrations
- MILEX handling call for Lightning Talks
- MILEX has received proposals for lightning talks
- Over lunch, attendees will vote on topic of “unconference” discussion at the end of day, facilitated by Emily Drabinski.
- We’ll also have report-outs from group discussions.
- Maybe Natalie and others will help with further advertising
- Natalie will make an image to be used for further advertising
- We can cross-promote our program with ACRL-2017 critlib unconference
- Joint Planning Meeting: 9/19, noon (conference call)
- To join using the internet (you need a microphone and speakers or a headset):
- Go to freeconferencecall.com;
- Click on Online Meetings;
- Select Join Meeting;
- Enter Online Meeting ID: sbg
- To join using the your phone:
- Call 641-715-3580;
- Enter Access Code: 737-107
Journal club: Oct 21
- Dates for the year are noted on blog, all have discussion leaders assigned.
- Claire is sole member of executive committee who is able to attend the Oct. 21 journal club.
- Robert will copy her when he emails Elizabeth Schlackman, who will facilitate the October discussion.
Winter Social – January/February
- Duckpin Bowling: Stoneleigh Lanes
- Date/Time tba
- We’ll choose a Friday
MLA/DLA conference – Sara AG, site visit in Cambridge Sept 22, 11am
- We didn’t get a strong response to CFP. (Because of ACRL 2017 in Baltimore, we thought we would have fewer proposals.)
- But we will have 2-3 presentations, which is not bad.
- We might be able to invite someone to speak? Maybe someone local from IT, or another field outside of librarianship.
- Maybe we could invite someone who proposed lightning talk for MILEX/ACRL critlib conference?
- Maybe we could invite the improv artist who ran a workshop at our summer program.
- Maybe email academic librarians near Cambridge, MD. Claire can reach out to CALD.
Nominations for next year’s officers due by October 1, 2016
- Self-nominations, suggestions welcome
ACRL in Baltimore, March 22-25, 2017
- Restaurant/Bar reception
- CALD pledged monetary support and likes the idea of a restaurant reception/meet-up
- Arrange a tour… Peabody?
- Topical Interest dinners? Fund raising… (Brewer’s Art?)
- We want suggestions for an event
- We should put together a task group
- Natalie volunteered
- Others who want to volunteer can email Claire
- New UB law school building, we could reserve space there for a party, if CALD pays for catering
- Hopefully that’s not too far north–it’s convenient to public transit
- Alison says that restaurants/bars require a minimum amount for food. So we have to be careful of that
- Sara says that catering/alcohol could be cheaper in UB building, rather than in a restaurant/bar
- We can go back to CALD to discuss money when we have more solid plans in place
- Brewer’s Art is owned by former librarian. Natalie can reach out to him
Next meeting: October 21, 2016