- RT @LibWardrobe: Bring out yer sweaters next week! twitter.com/MyPublicMedia/… 1 day ago
- RT @roswellencina: There's a petition for a Dr H @LibnOfCongress action figure. spotwin.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/we-… 3 days ago
- Adopt a Dracula! twitter.com/SILibraries/st… 1 week ago
The official blog of the Maryland Chapter of ACRL
Business Meeting Minutes: Aug. 19, 2016
August 22, 2016Posted by on
ACRL MD Meeting – Agenda & Minutes
August 19, 2016
Notes by Alison Cody
Update on summer session
- went well! evaluations were very positive – people particularly liked the improv artist. Panelists enjoyed themselves as well.
- improv person was great! should bring her back for another session
- low attendance though – summer slowdown? librarians are introverts – maybe not into the idea of improv? not as much advertising as usual
- Considering #CritLib: Inclusion and Diversity in Libraries (Collaboration with MILEX)
- Emily Drabinski will speak
- Friday Nov 11, 8am-3pm (ish) at Loyola Columbia
- Still working on approvals from MLA office
- PAF submitted earlier in the week
- Also a memo of understanding with MILEX – in process with MLA office
- Hoping to put out a save the date to marylib soon, as well as call for lightning talks. MILEX can share the info with their members now
- Next one will be October, scaling back number of articles discussed
- Sara AG will talk to Robert and help him get started with this
- The last bowling evening – Stonleigh Lanes in Towson – was very fun, well-attended, good reviews. Family-friendly, BYOB.
- Chase @ ACRL national sent Claire the list of current ACRL members living in MD – limited in some way by the preferences people set about communications. Don’t know this year’s dollar amount yet.
- Claire will book again for Jan/Feb
Nominations for next year’s ACRL MD officers due by Oct 1
- Secretary and VP
- last year posted a list of requirements to the blog
- traditionally give secretary first right of refusal to be nominated for VP/Pres Elect
ACRL National in Baltimore next March
- We do not have any obligation to host events – but we are welcome to. They hold complimentary spaces in the hotels for these types of events – we’d have to pay for catering. Also provided info on times that are open/no conflict
- Recommended we reach out to other local chapters as well
- Is it inappropriate to get outside sponsorship for events? Vendors, etc? (Towson had a daylong library conference sponsored by a few big vendors) worth looking into.
- Agree that we should do something
- tour of a local library – Peabody?
- sub-committee to work on this – point person to coordinate
- Kristen C @ UB volunteered
- Wrap this in with outreach re: journal club hosts
- Host state’s association gets a complimentary table at the conference – someone we need to contact about that to staff the table (could do with the other local states)
MLA Conference Planning update
- Theme – charting new courses
- still have one slot for a keynote – Thursday
- planning for some events is dependent on site visit – Sept 22 – Sara is driving if anyone wants to go
- Delaware academic division is thinking about doing newspaper digitization, online instruction, intellectual freedom
- looking for 55-60 programs; 4-5 would be sufficient from us
- not many proposals yet – due Sept 5. typically get a lot at the end. should do reminders.
- include something about this in the message to ACRL members?
- form we ask people to submit now makes it less likely people will claim expenses from out of state – ran into trouble with that last year. have been hesitant to send the call beyond MD for that reason
- have 6 people lined up to review