- ". . . I began to turn to the open stacks of the @NewarkLibrary to enlarge my sense of where I lived." Philip Roth @NewYorker June 5 & 12 1 week ago
- RT @gabbypatty8: My dad took night classes to learn English and wrote this as an assignment. 17 years later, I got my Masters. I did it, pa… 1 week ago
- RT @ProBookNerds: New podcast w/ @kylecassidy, author of This is What a #Librarian Looks Like. A perfect start to #alaac17 week! https://t… 1 week ago
The official blog of the Maryland Chapter of ACRL
Registration Open for “Discovery: It’s What Patrons Crave”
June 29, 2013Posted by on
Register now for ACRL-MD’s 2013 Unconference – “Discovery: It’s What Patrons Crave”.
Lately, if you say the word “discovery” to a librarian, many of us immediately think of discovery services, the elusive “one box to search them all.” But this is just one incarnation of discovery for us.
Our patrons use all sorts of tools and techniques to uncover the information they need. From learning how efficient a well-crafted Boolean search can be to realizing how much you can find in ten minutes spent looking at the right section of shelving, discovery takes a variety of forms. What are your users discovering? How are they finding it? What are they missing? What tools are you providing them with? What tools are they finding and adopting themselves?
Engage in roundtable discussions, hear lightning talks, and contribute a participant-voted talk. Join us, and share what’s being discovered (or not) in your library – and how! Bring your questions, ideas, and experiences and help shape the discovery conversation. The unconference will kick off with a series of lightning talks, which will be followed by roundtable discussions and talks chosen by you and other attendees.
Date: Wednesday, July 24th
- 9-9:30 Registration/Breakfast
- 9:30-10:30 Lightning Round Talks
- 10:30-11:15 Round Table Discussions
- 11:15-11:30 Break
- 11:30-12:00 Vote on Show & Tell Demos & Micro-Workshops
- 12:00-1:15 User Voted Talks
- 1:15 – 1:30 Wrap Up & Evaluations
**Continue the conversation at lunch following the unconference**
UMBC on the 7th floor of the Albin O. Kuhn Library & Gallery (1000 Hilltop Cir Baltimore, MD 21250). Directions and a campus map found athttp://aok.lib.umbc.edu/directions/
- MLA Members: $30
- Non-MLA Members: $45
- Students: $25.50
Registration deadline is Wednesday, July 17th. Register at https://www.mdlib.org/happenings/register.asp.